Pets love to get into things they shouldn't. If your pet ingests substances that are unsafe or poisonous, it could experience pet intoxication. This is a dangerous condition that will need immediate medical attention. If you live in or around the Jackson Metro Area, our knowledgeable team at Oakdale Animal Hospital is here to help when you suspect your furry friend has ingested a toxic substance. Let’s learn a bit more about this dangerous condition and how we can help.
What Causes Pet Intoxication?
It is important to understand that intoxication in pets is different than intoxication in people. The term intoxication as it pertains to people usually means that a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. When we talk about pet intoxication, however, we are referring to an animal ingesting any type of unsafe or poisonous substance. This often happens when a pet gets into hazardous materials such as cleaning materials or other unsafe household items. Some certain foods and plants can cause pet intoxication.
Avoiding Pet Intoxication
The best way to avoid pet intoxication is by keeping unsafe materials stored safely away where your pet cannot get into them. You should talk with a veterinarian about any types of foods or substances that are unsafe for your pet. We are here to help address any concerns that you may have to keep your furry friend safe.
The Signs of Pet Intoxication
Pet intoxication has a few different symptoms. Pets will salivate in large quantities. Pets may seem confused or disoriented. Pets may also become unresponsive. If you think your pet is experiencing pet intoxication or poisoning, you should get it to an animal hospital as quickly as possible for treatment or pet surgery if needed. Surgical intervention is also a common treatment especially when an animal ingests a foreign object that it is unable to pass. Such an event can lead to a variety of medical issues if left untreated.
Contact Our Veterinarians in the Jackson Metro Area
If you would like to learn more about how to deal with pet emergencies at home or suspect your cat or dog has ingested something harmful, contact Oakdale Animal Hospital. We are happy to answer any questions that you may have and advise you if professional intervention is needed. Call our team today at (601) 829-9949 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form for non-emergencies.